Thursday, February 22, 2007

BGM - Background Music LP (Vanity 0008) 1980

I planned to upload the RNA Organism LP today, but it appears I haven't archived that one yet. Instead, I present BGM - 'Background Music'. This is the first Vanity label record I purchased. Ever since then, I have been on a 10+ year quest to track down every release on the label.

Here is an excerpt from an excellent article on the label written by Satoru Higashiseto that appeared in the magazine 'Music' (Issue #02, 1998):

"Similar to ESG and Liquid Liquid this high school band played new wave garage funk. As with Sympathy Nervous, the leader of the band Takayuki Shiraishi reappeared in the techno scene of the 90's under the name of Planetroid, releasing Detroit techno influenced works."

This article was the first time I'd found a list of the label's entire output, and has been a guide/checklist for me ever since.

I have to disagree with the comparison to Liquid Liquid - I don't see it at all. There are some similarities to ESG, but really only the Martin Hannett-produced material. The track 'Neo Dancer' particularly recalls ESG's 'UFO', but stripped down even further.

Possibly my favorite track on the LP, 'And', can be placed right there at the top with the best of what Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Metabolist... were releasing in the late 70's/early 80's.

The last track, 'Recovery Room', consists of a few overlapping synth tones & melodies that reminds me of Sky-era Cluster at their quieter moments and the amazing 'Ur-Babel' LP by Peter Hammill.

Enjoy


1 comment:

thunderperfectmind said...

You just made my day! Thank you so much for this!